Sunday, July 1, 2012

Les Miserables; Victor Hugo

Les Miserables is a series of tales of human misery and redemption.  The theme is life-changing love and it is powerful.

I started this novel sometime during middle school.  I'm glad now that I wasn't able to finish it at that time.  Reading it now was an incredible experience.

Les Miserables is a beautiful book.  Growing up, I loved the musical so much, and I still do love it now.  The book, however, as Hugo meant it to be, is a wonderful and thorough masterpiece.  Hugo really explains his characters and their backstories.  He doesn't just tell you what is happening in the direct plot of the story, but what went on before that - you leave every situation with a very broad understanding of the events surrounding what you've just read about.

Hugo is genius.  If anyone ever asks me which person from history I would want to have dinner with, I could answer.  He has a beautiful way of expressing emotions and is a phenomenal storyteller, as long as you can go with him down his historical interludes.

All I can say is, persevere!  It's worth it!

Some quotes I loved:

"She had never been pretty; her whole life, which had been a succession of pious works, had finally cloaked her in a kind of transparent whiteness, and in growing old she had acquired the beauty of goodness."

"She was a pretty blonde with fine teeth.  For dowry, she had gold and pearls; but the gold was on her head and the pearls were in her mouth."

"Love has no middle term; either it destroys or it saves."

"Only the epic has the right to fill twelve thousand lines with one battle."

"The audacity to die well always moves men."

"Because things are unpleasant ... that is no reason for being unjust toward God."

No comments:

Post a Comment