Thursday, January 30, 2014

Crime and Punishment; Fyodor Dostoevsky

I finished it.  Finally.  I have no excuse for myself.  I can only finally report success.

I don't know if it was just the translators, or if they did a really good job of capturing his writing style, but I find Dostoevsky really jerky.  I guess this is appropriate when you're following the mind of a criminal, but it made it really hard for me to read.

I didn't like the main character, so that made it doubly hard for me to finish this book.  But the action picked up maybe a third of the way through, and characters I liked more were introduced, so I kind of flew through the rest of the book after struggling through the first part.

This book is not for amateurs.  Amateur what?  Readers.  You need to be serious if you want to do this one.  Honestly, I found War and Peace easier to read.

But maybe that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment